Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Years! Keeping with tradition, I was in bed well before 10. I think I could count the number of times I've stayed up until midnight on one hand! I've never been a night person. Deren's parents left for the airport at 7am this morning. Jacob and Joshua were up to see them off. Joshua wanted one last ride in their rental car. Jacob said "bye bye" and cried when they left. We felt so bad for the little guy! All the kids miss Grandma and Grandpa.

We went to the park yesterday afternoon. I walked with Abby while Deren and his parents chased the kiddos around. Afterwards we went for smoothies and ice cream. Joshua is a Jamba Juice junkie - so is his mama! There is a good mexican restaurant right next to Jamba Juice, so we decided to get take out from there. I ate a plate that could probably feed three people, and was almost in a coma by 9pm. We watched a program featuring favorite opera pieces from the Lincoln Center. Rachael gave her own renditions to the opera. Oh - we also found out she's a closet Ricky Nelson fan. PBS had a special on him after the opera. Rachael boogied with Ricky for awhile.

We went to church this a.m. The first time we've been to church as a (semi-healthy) family since I don't know when. We had all the kids in their respective nursery rooms - so the healthy part probably won't last too long - but it was a really nice service. After that we stopped by Jamba Juice again (for me and Joshie!). Deren was reading the paper and left out an article about black-eyed peas on New Years. There was a recipe with the article. I went to the grocery store, got the last two cans of black-eyed peas, and made the recipe while Deren appeased the kiddos. Here it is - it is really good!

1 lb bulk sausage, hot or regular
1 C chopped onion
1 C chopped green pepper
1 C chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14oz) can chicken broth
1 C converted rice (I used Uncle Ben's instant whole grain)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
2 (14oz) cans black-eyed peas
Saute sausage, onion, green pepper, celery and garlic in large pot over med-hi heat. Drain and return to pot (I didn't have to drain). Add chicken broth, rice, salt, peppers and bay leaf. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 mins, stirring occasionally (didn't say whether to cover, I did for half the time)

Drain & rinse black-eyed peas, then add to pot and simmer an additional 5-10 mins, until liquid is absorbed into the rice.

No comments: